From:
Kevin Sutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 1999 00:14:28 -0600
Eric Kisch wrote:

>>A final observation: I wonder whether today's instruments -- especially
>>Steinways -- are more percussive and "brilliant" than the previous
>>generation of instruments.

I think that the reason for the brightness of modern pianos lays more in
the kinds of harder and better manufactured materials that go into the
hammers.  Surely the difference lies in the better quality manufacturing
machinery available today.

Mary Esterheld responded:

>I wonder if some of the difference could be caused by the difference
>between electronic(digital?) tuning vs. old-fashioned tuning by ear.

Piano tuners still tune "by ear".  No reputable piano tuner that I have
ever hired uses a digital device.

>Or is that a dumb question? Do concert pianists do their own tuning?

I have never known one to do so, but there may be the odd exception.

>I just thought that the shades of difference between octaves may vary the
tone of the piano from mellow to 'brilliant'.  Is the difference between
the materials used - i.e., wood vs. plastics; felt vs. man-made material;
in organs, leather vs. teflon?

As an apprentice organ builder, I can tell you that we use leather as do
most reputable builders.  no teflon in our instruments!

Kevin Sutton