From:
Richard Todd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 1999 18:17:43 -0500
Steven Martin wrote:

>The dynamics in Gardiner's recording are why I sold my copy.  Too bad,
>otherwise it was quite nice.

The Gardiner version remains my favourite, and I've not really had any
problems with the dynamics.  To be sure, I like the Tuba mirum to blow my
hat off.  My next favourite is the Shaw on Teldec, no idea whether that's
currently available.  Muti's pretty good, but doesn't entirely click for
me.  I don't think he quite got the theatrical-spiritual balance right.
The Giulini (with Schwarzkopf et al) would be wonderful if it weren't for
some serious distortion in the recorded sound, almost the worst I've heard
in a commercial recording.

Richard, who invites you to visit his music, outdoors and other WWW sites at:
http://www.magi.com/~richard/