From:
Sami Klein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Nov 1999 10:30:28 -0500
Several list members have said they prefer the sound of their CDs to the
sound of the live concerts.  I have been attempting to define why I don't
agree, and several concerts that I attended these past 2 weeks make me
realize why I feel this way.

Last week, one of the works on the Baltimore Symphony program was Cesar
Frank's Symphony in D.  This is a work that I have not heard in years (and
never in concert) and would have said that if I never heard it again it was
fine....until I heard the BSO.  The orchestra infused the piece with life
and brought out the interplay between the sections that I don't think would
be captured in a recording.  The harp and the strings in the second
movement were pure magic.

This week's concert was Verdi's Requiem, another exciting event, with
the marvelous mezzo Phyllis Pancella and bass Peter Rose.  The soprano
and tenor were just adequate.  I came home after the concert and listened
to my recording, which is with Gardiner and the Monteverdi Choir on
Philips.  The recording, which I used to enjoy, has lost it's appeal, now
that I have heard the sound in the concert hall.  The sound dynamics in
the recording are such that there are several times when I cannot hear any
thing unless I turn the volume to its maximum level.  Is there a better
recording that anyone can suggest?

Then last night, at the chamber concert, Gilbert Kalish on piano and
the Talich Quartet played the Chopin Piano Concerto No.  1.  Absolute
perfection.  Again, when I came home I listened to the 2 recordings of the
work that I own...Emanuel Ax and Kissin.  Both were not as good as the live
performance but Kissin was by far the better of the 2 with his youthful
exuberance and abandon.  Emanuel Ax seemed to be playing half-heartedly.

All of which confirms my belief that there is no substitute for live
performances.

Sami