From:
Janos Gereben <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Nov 1999 13:18:15 -0800
A friend by the coincidental name of Guy gifted me with Guy Ropartz'
Symphony No.  3 (Plasson-Toulouse), and I am of two minds:

1.  Even with the given of my non-European upbringing (I am from Hungary),
how is it possible that this very prolific French composer straddling two
centuries (1864-1955) remained unknown to me?

2.  How is it possible to write so many notes and say so little?

The expected answer to No.  1 is that I am just dumb, but No.  2 is more
intriguing.

Although a Franck student (I looked it up...:), Ropartz to me sound a
continuation, but certainly not culmination, of Saint-Saens (for whom I
have a shameful fondness).  The Third Symphony, with its large chorus,
layers and layers of stormy waves of sound, bears a great deal of
resemblance to the five years older "Gurrelieder." But after the first
movement of genuine attraction, attention wonders, and tedium sets in even
on first hearing.  Perhaps *because* of first hearing? I don't think so,
but I'd like to be advised otherwise by the hidden legions of Ropartzians.

Janos Gereben/SF