From:
Luis M Afonso <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 09:35:56 +0000
Donald Satz wrote:

>I've never heard a thing of Celi's.  What work would be a good place to
>start with?

Hi, the only recording I have from Celi was bought last weekend.  Like Don,
neither K.  or C.  play much on my evenings, though I really appreciate
Karajan's Beethoven and Strauss.  The EMI release of the Eroica played buy
the Munchener Philharmoniker conducted by Celi amazed me in every sense.
He is slow, yes it is.  I remember to be warned about that.  But every bit
of that "unhurried" conducting is pure delight and makes every sense.  When
I am hearing that CD (very often these last days...) I feel that instead
of an orchestra Celi has an instrument in front of him, so one can sense
every note played with is unique being, is single character.  "Reducing" a
Beethovem masterpiece to that puzzle of unique pieces is really a work of
the finest art.  I love that recording.  Maybe it's a good place for any
to start (including Don).

Luis