From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Nov 1999 19:34:18 PST
I couldn't go without Beethoven for more than 3 or 4 days.  He wrote so
many great works in various genres.  And, there are still two works of
Beethoven's that I'd like to become more intimate with - the Missa Solemnis
and Fidelio.

As frequently as I'd like to listen to the old favorites (Bach, Handel,
Mozart, Haydn, Beethoven, Schubert, Shostakovich, Mahler), there's precious
little time to explore all that's left.  That's why I trained myself to
need no more that three hours of sleep each night.  Besides, I'd much
rather play very familiar music when my wife is up and around; that way I
know exactly what's going to be hitting her eardrums.  Guys, if you want to
really tick off your spouse, give her a loud dose of organ music.  For the
opposite impact, try some Ravel piano music.  Just remember that it might
not work for you; not everyone starts off with my built-in advantages.

Sorry to digress.  It's just that I've been up so long, and it's hard to
stay focused.

Don Satz