From:
Wes Crone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Nov 1999 23:54:15 -0800
Ian Crisp wrote:

>As previously announced, I propose that this time we vote for the most
>definitively twentieth-century pieces of classical music. Not necessarily
>the best pieces written during the century, but the one or ones that future
>generations may look back on as best summing up the particular musical
>nature of this departing century.

I would like to toss in something a little different than my fellow list
members.  I vote for Holst's "The Planets" suite.  I know it isn't as
technically forward looking as many works of its day but it seems important
to me.  It seems like a good representative of the technology age and the
20th century pursuit into human importance and our place in the larger scope
of things.  Also, the work seems quite the predecessor of the "space cowboy"
music of Williams and other major composers of the last half of the 20th
century.

Most works listed thus far have been very innovative in some small or
large way.  While The Planets seems to be 19th century continued, it still
creates a sound which seems like the 20th century to me.  Maybe not 20th
century music but the 20th century as a whole.  Hey, are those giggles I'm
hearing?

--Wes Crone