Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 5 Nov 1999 16:05:07 PST
From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Andrys has been steering this thread in a somewhat different direction -
cd covers of male artists posed suggestively to entice gay men.  He even
provided as an example a URL where we could gaze at a young man without
any shirt on.  I wish he had provided a URL of a young woman doing likewise.

And that's the point.  The majority of adults are heterosexual, so
large-scale marketing, with little exception, is going to concentrate on
the male-female attraction.  That's just a simple fact that people of any
minority have to live with.

Personally, if presented with a CD cover of a male in an enticing pose,
I'd purchase the disc only if I was determined to have that particular
music by that particular artist (a must buy).  Otherwise, I'd just pass
it by.  Nothing about morality involved here.  There are many types of
turn-off covers - the male suggestive cover is simply one of many that's
a turn-off for me.

Don Satz

 [As this thread has now drifted away from classical music, and into
 a general discussion of sexual preference and marketing, I hereby
 declare this silly exercise in prudery over.  -Dave]