Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sat, 2 Oct 1999 22:39:31 -0400
From:
Richard Todd <[log in to unmask]>
David Runnion wrote:

>But the term HIP is, to me, as offputting as Politically Correct,
>and as insulting.

I understand what you mean.  I think HIP has come to have a narrower
meaning than it really should.  Last night I had to review I Musici
de Montreal who did some Handel and Mozart.  Although they use modern
instruments, there is a quality and style to playing that is very authentic
compared to, say, the work of Pinchas Zukerman (whom I had to review just
an hour ago) or compared to nearly anyone of a generation ago.  To me this
was HIP.  Les Violons du roy also play with modern instruments, but they
use baroque bows.  It makes a great difference, and they sound nearly as
authentic to me as Toronto's Tafelmusik, who play with truly authentic
intruments.  Very HIP indeed.  "Historically informed" shouldn't have to
mean that every particular of period performance has to be slavishly
observed.

Richard, who invites you to visit his music, outdoors and other WWW sites
at: http://infoweb.magi.com/~richard/