Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 22 Sep 1999 22:22:19 PDT
From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Felix Delbruck wrote:

>I generally agree with your comments about his pianism - he can never
>achieve a really light touch, his dynamic range is limited, and he
>over-pedals and sometimes pounds.

Since I'm the one who speaks up most frequently for Brendel, I'll continue
with that tradition.  As I was reading Felix's comments, I was thinking of
Brendel's Haydn series and his recording of Schubert's D.959 on Philips
(first recording).  They're perfect, revelatory, and display supreme
mastery.  Brendel's pacing, drama, lightness and playfulness when called
for, and concept of these works is what music is all about for me.

Don Satz