Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 29 Nov 1999 12:21:59 -0600
From:
Chris Bonds <[log in to unmask]>
Thomas Jones wrote:

>At Thanksgiving some friends played the Hindemith sonata for violin and
>piano in E.  It is a lovely work that I was unfamiliar with.  My friend
>had a recording of it on cpo that seemed rather cold (I much prefered the
>way my friends played it) and I read that there is a Stern performance but
>can't locate it.  Can anyone recommend a favorite recording of this or tell
>me a bit about the piece? Thank you.

The Stern recording Sony #64533 "A life in music" has a Hindemith sonata
on it but it doesn't appear to be the Sonata in E.  I would suggest you
look seriously at the Sviatoslav Richter/Oleg Kagan performances of all
the sonatas on Live Classics (Ger.) 161.  Not only do you get one of the
greatest 20th-cent.  pianists and a fine violinist, but you get to trace
Hindemith's style from the "avant-garde" of the Op. 11 sonatas to his more
conservative neo-Bach-like style of the 30s and/or 40s.  OTOH, the Stern,
while not the Sonata in E, also has the Bloch sonata and Baal Shem, and the
Copland Sonata, which is an interesting piece.  Heck, get 'em both!

Chris Bonds