Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 15 Nov 1999 08:18:18 -0600
From:
"Aaron J. Rabushka" <[log in to unmask]>
A very finely performed disc of Bach cantatas that I found recently is the
Cantatas for Alto disc from Harmonia Mundi-France.  It features Philippe
Herreweghe conducting and countertenor Andreas Scholl singing.  The
performances are excellent--my only gripe is that Scholl's voice sometimes
comes across as retiring rather than assertive.  His singing is very
secure and stylish, and the instrumental group (whose name escapes me now)
performs likewise.  Several of these cantatas feature some persuasively
well-played organ obbligati.  This is not presented as part of Herreweghe's
Bach cantata series, but it's the best of the ones I've yet heard from him.

Aaron J. Rabushka
http://www.cowtown.net/users/arabushk