Date:
Sat, 11 Sep 1999 14:01:00 EDT
I wonder if the mother of the five week old aggressive non-nurser (mom is
pumping and bottle feeding but wants baby back to breast) has tried a nipple
shield?  It might be a "middle step" for the baby to get the plastic/hard
bottle-type nipple that he is used to while mom gets the satisfaction and
confidence-raiser of having her baby actually feeding at the breast.  I
worked with, counselled, and befriended a mom whose baby nursed *only* with a
nipple shield for over FIVE months.  One day when mom tried the bare breast,
as she did gently and lovingly each and every day for those five months, baby
accepted it and never again nursed with the shield.  He is now a wonderfully
bouncy eight month old on the verge of walking; his mother rebounded from a
very rough start to breastfeeding and mothering and has grown in more ways
than I think that even she could have imagined.
   I hope this helps.  I am not usually a big fan of the nipple shield
(particularly after seeing what my friend went through for five months!) but
maybe it would help transition this baby.

Lisa Jones, LLLL in Wellington FL