From:
Magda Sachs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Aug 1999 09:53:29 GMT
Deanne,

I hear your frustration about the conditions your daughter is experiencing in
Azerbaijan.  I just want to remind all that the WHO/UNICEF code allows donations
to be made by milk companies to orphans -- with the stipulation that donations
are made that cover the entire period of need for that child.  So, were the
companies truly interested in those children in the world who need their product
but are unable to get it from other sources, they could give a truly charitable
donation.  They don't.  They prefer to donate only in high-profile situations --
(though it is a mystery to me -- you would think with all the 'spin docors' they
employ, they could turn donations to orphans into a 'feel-good company
enhancement' factor) -- e.g. in war crisis heavily covered by the media -- or
when they have a batch of out-of-date or other unusable product.

Magda Sachs
Breastfeeding Supporter, BfN, UK