From:
Steven Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Oct 1999 08:20:55 -0500
Dave in Guadalajara replies incredulously to me:

>No recording on the ORIGINAL Gershwin orchestration exists?

Not according to Charles Schwartz, author of Gershwin:  His Life & Music
(Da Capo Press).  In the general way of things, this is a terrible book,
mainly due to Schwartz's (no relation) dislike of Gershwin's music.  At any
rate, he claims that all of Gershwin's major scores were revised after his
death by one Robert McBride at the instigation of the music editor of New
World Publishers, Frank Campbell-Watson.  The Second Rhapsody was
especially hard-hit.

However, it may be that the Telarc recording with Kunzel and Tritt uses the
original, but that CD came out only in, I believe, 1997.  It is only very
recently that people have begun to apply scholarship to Gershwin's music,
with, I should add, wonderful results and revelations on Gershwin as a
composer.

Steve Schwartz