From:
Patrik Enander <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Aug 1999 20:59:15 +0200
Don wrote:

>BIS released the Goldberg Variations performed on harpsichord by Masaaki
>Suzuki over a year ago.  Suzuki is also the conductor of the Bach cantata
>series on the same label and is apparently heavily immersed in Bach these
>days.

I bought a couple of CD:s in this cycle, but hadn't listened much to them
but a couple of weeks ago I "discovered" vol 5.  (Gleich wie der regen
und Schnee, BWV 18, lobe den Herrn meine Seele, BWV 143, tritt auf die
Glaubesbahn, BWV 152, Mein Gott, wie lange, ach lange, BWV 155, Komm du
susse Todesstunde) This is a lovely disc.  Two of my favourite cantatas
is on it, Komm du .... and Tritt auf.....  Peter Kooy is steady as a rock,
Skurada and Mera excellent (jus listen to the duet between then in bwv 155,
that alone makes this Cd an excellent buy).  I'm not too impressed with
Midori Suzuki.  Her voice is a bit thin.  I find the playing of Bach
Collegium Japan excellent.  I recommed this disc highly.

Patrik Enander