From:
Chris Bonds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Sep 1999 00:04:25 -0500
Aaron Rabushka wrote:

>Interestingly enough I finally heard one of the much-touted Celibidache
>recordings--the first movement of Beethoven's 5th.  Very well played
>(Munich Philharmonic Orch), controlled rather than explosive.  Maybe
>a bit too controlled.

Speaking of Celi, he's on the new "great conductors" video that I
purchased recently.  I also have 2 other videos of him late in life
conducting Prokofiev and Bruckner.  On the first tape he conducts
Beethoven's Egmont as a younger man, and one or 2 other clips.  IMO
he didn't compare favorably with some of the other conductors, e.g.
Mengelberg and Furtwaengler.  I was disappointed because I really,
really wanted him to be "great." He was very intense, but there was
something missing--maybe a certain passion and commitment.  Anyway,
I guess I prefer the "old" Celi to the young firebrand.

Chris Bonds