From:
Philip Peters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Aug 1999 01:29:37 +0200
John Dalmas wrote:

>IMO Ciccolini has served Satie well over the years, in both his mono and
>stereo recordings.  I have never felt impelled to purchase other pianists
>in this music, although friends once suggested listening to Grant
>Johanneson and John McCabe.

*Never* listen to John McCabe, the *butcher* of Haydn sonatas!  ;) OTOH, my
countryman Reinbert de Leeuw recorded some Satie in the seventies in a way
quite different from Ciccolini's.  I prefer C.  but I would be interested
in the ideas of other list members about De Leeuw's effort (I think he is
too *Romantic* here and his tempi often are too slow).

Philip