Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Alwyn Goodall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Aug 1999 21:04:48 -0600
Interesting reading what those outside of the WIC community are
commenting.
I have worked for WIC in Arizona for 12 years.  I first worked in a
county that did not keep formula "samples"  in the office.  After eight
years in this county, I moved to Maricopa County where I was shocked to
see that formula  was being handed out over the counter to those who
came in and told us there baby had been born or were making an
appointment for a first WIC visit.  I was told this was necessary since
they could not see clients immediately.  A one pound can of powdered
formula per week until the scheduled appointment is being given to those
who ask for it.    Thankfully in the clinic where I work we don't offer
it unless they ask and the staff I work with are very good about
inquiring about breastfeeding when they do ask.  If the client is
breastfeeding and asking for formula they will refer that client to me.

Our breastfeeding task force has just been re-established under new
leadership.  We agreed we would like to see the formula out of the
office.  Our breastfeeding coordinator took this recommendation to
administration (this is a large county--62,000 WIC clients).   We
received our answer this week.  Bring it up in the year 2001 after we
finish our automation.         Judy Goodall, DTR, IBCLC