Date:
Fri, 3 Sep 1999 10:34:31 -0500
>Now, the baby I am working with has Downs syndrome,is 2 months age
>adjusted,is home gaining but is being gavage tube feed and bottle feed. I'm
>there of course to assist in back to the breast help. The baby does have
>untreated thrush and as of late has not been bottlefeeding well.

I have worked with so many babies with thrush whose first symptom is that
they don't feed well.  They have a sore throats.  Usually one treatment
with Gentian Violet (or even Nystatin) relieves some of the soreness and
they feed better, continuing to improve as the yeast problem is resolved.

>A local ped  has told many of the moms I work with that a little bit of
>thrush in the babies mouth is good for baby because " it will help the baby
>build up resistance and immunites to yeast", is this evidance based?

As to the "benefit" of an oral yeast infection, I have my doubts.  We
always have yeast in our GI tracts and we always have healthful bacteria.
They keep a good balance and are good for us.  But when there is an
imbalance, with accompanying symptoms of yeast overgrowth, that is NOT
health.

One doesn't want to "build up resistance and immuninity" to yeast, because
it does have a beneficial role in our GI health.

A lot of babies do have subclinical thrush that causes them and their
mothers no problem, and a lot of adults have some level of yeast imbalance
that they can live with fine.  But when it becomes problematic it needs to
be treated, and probiotics (acidophilus and/or bifidus) used to restore the
balance.

Pat Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee, Wisconsin

mailto:[log in to unmask]