From:
Querida David <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Aug 1999 22:30:31 +1000
OK, s'pose I'd better tune in here for just a second,
from my control group of four....
My babies were 8.13, 9.6, 10 and 10.5lb and all fed well. We had various
problems at various stages, but basically at birth, they were normal,
everyday babies and didn't have any unusual problems. They also didn't look
like particularly big babies. They all fitted 000 clothing (though not for
long) and my biggest baby is a quite average size 8 year old. In fact only
one of the four is what you would call large (95th percentile height and
weight) for his age now. Two are in the 50th percentile group and one in the
75th. I didn't have gestational diabetes and none of them have any ongoing
health problems. I sometimes used one pillow for support while breastfeeding
in the first few days and rarely afterward. My supply was always adequate
and 3 of four were what I would consider 'active' babies. (#2 had read the
'feed, then sleep' book) In utero, all were very active, one turning from
breech just days before she was born. If the squash factor came into play,
then twins should have noticeably depressed muscle tone as well.
None of my three boys had circs however...
I think we need to look at the big picture here - there are probably more
smaller babies with problems. Maybe because folks don't expect bigger babies
to have any problems, they stick in our minds if they do.
as usual, JMHO,
Querida

Querida David IBCLC
Alyangula. NT. Australia