Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Aug 1999 13:02:30 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (28 lines)
Something I just need to say about the WIC and breastfeeding issue is this-- though it's a Federal program here in the US, I think each state has a good bit
of control over how they run things, and as someone else said that can vary a lot from county to county as well.

I know a little bit about the WIC programs in the surrounding states-- Mississippi, Florida, Louisiana, and my own Alabama. They are all very different.
Mississippi for example has their own Peer Counselor program, Florida has one that (I believe) is based on the LLLI program-- but Alabama has no such thing.
I remember a few years back a friend explained to me "Each state got a certain sum of money to promote breastfeeding. Some states started PC programs--
Alabama rented billboards."

I have read many posts here from WIC workers, both the PCs and the administrators, from various states. It's obvious to me that we have some of the cream of
the crop subbed to Lactnet. I personally know some of these women and they (as well as the ones I don't know but have "met" on Lactnet)  have impressed me
time after time with their dedication to helping mothers breastfeed, while not condemning those who don't. If the shortcomings in the WIC program are to be
"fixed," it will be because bureaucrats decide to listen to women like these instead of the steady ka-ching of the formula companies' cash registers.

In my part of the world, many families of all different types receive WIC benefits, and even more could qualify. When good information is disseminated to
these families, it has a definite ripple effect.
Those of you who work for WIC, please don't be discouraged by our discussion of the negative things that many of us see in the program. We know that YOU are
the positive side, and that you ARE making a difference.
Joanne Hamilton
Foley, Alabama, where we have too many billboards and not enough breastfed babies.
--
mailto:[log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2