From:
Kar-Ming Chong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Aug 1999 15:38:58 +0800
Philip wrote:

>Casadesus' is a great recording. An alternative is Gieseking and I also
>like Monique Haas but I don't know whether this has been reissued on CD.

Monique Haas' recordings of Ravel's piano works have been released as a
2CD box set by the Erato label.  I got mine while it was on sale.  The
recordings were made in the 60s.  The sound recordings have a certain
warmth that makes me go fuzzy wuzzy and the performance is fine.  For
my money though, I would go for Collard's (a much underrated pianist)
recordings with EMI (3CD box set - witness Collard's treatment of Gaspard's
1st movement - Ondine).  Scintillating stuff!

Cheers
Kar Ming