From:
Jason Greshes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Aug 1999 11:49:14 -0400
Eric Schissel wrote:

>An interesting statement, even though of limited relevance to the original
>claim if true (which was whether Berg was .taught. serialism or 12-tone
>composition as a student, which if Steve Schwartz was right, he was not.)
>Have you any evidence for either part of your claim? (Interesting to see
>Zemlinsky included among this group, by the way.)

Tell ya what, next time you're looking for a straw man, why not go bug
somebody else and leave me the flip alone?

I didn't "claim" Berg was "taught" serialism as 12-tone as a student--
you did.

All I did was state that Berg utilized the compositional systems (atonal,
12 tone) of Schoenberg.  Whether he sat at a desk in classroom, was
squeezed in by Schoenberg between sessions with Goldblatt and Himmelwurtz,
I made no claim--you did, by misconstruing my post and misstating my post
for whatever purposes of your own.

In fact, neither I, nor Schwartz, nor the whooping crane in apartment 5B
have made any such "claim." They have appeared solely in your fevered
imagination.

Jason