From:
Ruben Stam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Aug 1999 09:02:10 +0200
Charles Dalmas wrote:

>I am astonished.  All this talk of soundtracks, and not one reference to
>John Williams.

Nor all that much to Ennio Morricone, who I consider to be one of the
finest 'full-time' film composers.  The spaghetti westerns and 'The
Mission' (which is very fine indeed) are most often mentioned.  I still
get goose bumps when I listen to parts of 'The Untouchables', but there's
some gold to be found in more intimate works like 'Cinema Paradiso' too.

>Other great movie soundtracks from recent times: Silverado, Gettysburg,

I quite liked that too.  A nice mixture between the dramatic and the
intimate.  It's not always easy to tell, but I have the impression that all
of the 'orchestral' music on the Gettysburg soundtrack is generated on a
synthesiser.  At least there is no mention on the CD of any orchestra or
conductor.

Ruben