From:
William Jenks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Aug 1999 21:51:23 -0500
I wrote:

>Does anybody know if the Decca (London) recording by the Vienna Octet
>is still available?

Is this it on a different label?  (available at CDNow)

Date: 01/98     Label: CAMERATA (JAP)   Catalog: 470
Octet for Clarinet, Horn, Bassoon and Strings in F major, D 803/Op. 166
Composer: Franz Schubert (1797 - 1828)
Artist(s) Schmidl, Peter, Clarinet; Hogner, Gunter, French Horn; Turkovic,
Milan, Bassoon; Sagat, Milan, Double Bass; Vienna String Quartet

William Jenks

 [Only if the Vienna Quartet is a subset of the Vienna Octet.  I think
 there may be a little confusion here.  Don Satz gave the particulars
 of the London CD with the Octet played by the Vienna Octet (421155).
 I don't have this CD, but I do have a couple of London releases by the
 New Vienna Octet of roughly the same vintage.  I also have a London
 release of chamber music by Britten that features the Vienna Octet.
 Here're the facts:

 Sources: Beethoven Septet/Trio  Rec. 1977/8  New Vienna Octet  414576-2
          Britten Sinfonietta/Quartets  Rec. 1965  Vienna Octet  425715-2

               Vienna Octet          New Vienna Octet     Vienna Quartet a.o.
              --------------------  -------------------  --------------------
 Clarinet     BOSKOVSKY, Alfred      SCHMIDL, Peter       SCHMIDL, Peter
 Bassoon      PAMPERL, Ernst         ZEMAN, Dietmar       TURKOVIC, Milan
 Horn         VELEBA, Josef          HOGNER, Gunter       HOGNER, Gunter
 Violin       FIETZ, Anton           BINDER, Erich        HINK, Werner
 Violin       MATHEIS, Philipp   ?                  KROISAMER, Hubert
 Viola        BREITENBACH, Gunther   STAAR, Josef         PEISTEINER, Klaus
 Cello        BRABEC, Emanuel        DOLEZAL, Friedrich   REPP, Reinhard
 Double Bass  RUHM, Otto             MANHART, Herbert     SAGAT, Milan

 I don't think these are the same groups.  I suspect the CD you're
 looking for (i.e., the one Don Satz has) is by the New Vienna Octet,
 but Don can clinch it for us.  -Dave]