HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Tue, 4 Apr 2000 17:53:29 -0400
This is another aviation question.  I am doing a project at a small rural
airport and have encountered a boundary lighting system that appears to be a
of considerable age, perhaps historic in origin.  These are not runway
lights, but rather a lighting system around the exterior boundaries of the
airport itself.  I would like to find out when this system dates from, what
company may have built it and whether others may still exist.  I am still
attempting to obtain records about the system, but am unsure such still
exist.

The lights are fed by underground electrical conduits, but the system was
turned off about 7 years ago because of fear the whole system would short
out.  The lights are spaced about 200 ft apart.  Each light rests on top of a
59 inch high metal stand with a 32 inch diameter metal cone shaped bonnet
beginning just below the light.  At the top of the stand is a large clear
globe covering a 15 watt bulb.  One of the globes had the following
information impressed on it: U.S. Dept. of Commerce Standard Boundary Light,
Holophane U.S.A. 2203PAT. NO. 1120263.  There were at least two different
types of globes present, one of which was clipped onto the stand.

Any information on this would be most appreciated.

Mike Polk
Principal Archaeologist/Owner
Sagebrush Consultants, L.L.C.
3670 Quincy Avenue, Suite 203