From:
Bob Draper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Aug 1999 09:42:53 +0000
I think I might have done an injustice to the Salomons in my last posting.
I suggested that there was only two quartets per disc in their Haydn
series.

In fact this is only true for the very first works they recorded OP74.
The later recordings op33,20,54,55 contain 3 works per disc.  Also in my
view these later recordings are much more successful.  The main reason
being that the group are not so closely miked.

I had a mental abberation when I wrote before and was comparing a mental
picture of the OP74 set to the Mosaiques recordings.  Having got my head
sorted out and making the comparism with the later recordings the result
is a much closer run thing.

In fact far from being bad value the later discs may be considered better
value than the Mosaiques because they are often on sale at upper mid-price.

Bob Draper