From:
John Dalmas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Aug 1999 23:13:20 -0400
Deryk Barker wrote:

>And, with all respect to his (Horenstein's) 1954 (?) Vox, this (the Music &
>Arts) is an entirely different kettle of fish, possibly the most searingly
>intense M9 you'll ever hear. I know, I was there.

Yes, and as Deryk warned, the 1966 live recording with the London Symphony
he speaks of is now nla from Music & Arts.  Also, Deryk's question mark
after the year of the earlier recording with the Vienna Symphony did not
go unnoticed.  The year of the release of the VOX boxed lp set is given
on the liner notes as 1960, but I have heard that the M9 was recorded
two years earlier, in 1958.  The CD reissue of this M9 (with the 1955
Kindertotenlieder with Norman Foster) states the year as 1954.  Deryk may
have more information.  There was also available for a time a Horenstein M9
dating from 1967 with the Orchestre National de France.

Incidentally, the 1960 VOX boxed lp set is the one with the notorious
"Devil" Mahler cover (the twin peaks of the capital "M" in Mahler behind
the composer's portrait appear to be horns jutting from his head).  So much
for trivia.

John Dalmas