From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Aug 1999 16:33:53 PDT
Tom Godell wrote:

>TIME Magazine is conducting an on-line vote for "Person of the Century."
>Only three "musicians" are among the top 20 vote getters:
>Elvis Presley, Madonna, and John Lennon.

Only three out of twenty? I'm surprised there are any considering that
music is "entertainment" to most folks in the world.  Personally, I'd have
to go with Mr. Hitler; this isn't a "nice" person of the century vote.
On second thought, given that the 21st century will likely see the full
flowering of the human clone, I'll vote for whoever the person is who
"discovered" the cloning process.  I'd bet a sizeable sum that there are
human clones on the earth right now; I can't believe that only animals have
been cloned.

If TIME were conducting a vote for "classical music person of the century",
I would opt for a tie between Harnoncourt and Schoeberg.  I believe
Harnoncourt was the "wheel" for the "HIP" movement and made it so easy for
folks like Gardiner, Norrington, and Herreweghe to succeed.  Schoenberg
represents the "wheel" for non-traditional tonal and atonal compositions.
Yes, there has been a resurgence of that traditional tonal music updated in
a mish-mash of eclectic styles.  But, I consider that a temporary fad which
will expire early on in the 21st century.  Would you like me to predict
"your" future?

Don Satz