From:
Philip Peters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Aug 1999 03:21:58 +0200
Wes Crone wrote:

>For the Fantazias I think the best performance is clearly
>by the fine group called Fretwork which is on the Virgin Veritas label.

Savall & his group do them as well and surprisingly similarly at that.
At budget price the Rose Consort of Viols is available on Naxos but
although not bad at all this is not on a par with Fretwork or Hesperion.
The Ensemble Phantasm is worth hearing too if one loves this music as much
as I do.  This was *old fashioned* in its time, consort music was coming to
an end anyway and musicians were substituting the violin for the viol.  As
has often been remarked in a way the Fantazias are, like Bach's Kunst der
Fuge, the culmination of a great tradition.

Philip