From:
Martin Pitchon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Aug 1999 15:01:04 -0400
Bob Draper <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I have the Olympia versions of most of Glazunov's Symphonies.  I think they
>are excellent.  They do, however, require repeated listening in a way that
>is not necessary with Tchiakovsky.  That is the problem I think.
>
>Also, I recently purchased the Raymondo complete ballet.  I found it pretty
>bland and boring I'm afraid.

I do not agree...  Is soft music, like drinking a Coke but...  Do you like
a Coke instead of wine from time to time? Is refreshing and the end is well
structured.

>In addition, I'd like to plug the excellent Naxos series of G's orchestral
>works.  The tone poems are nice, but 'The King Of The Jews' is a
>revelation.  It's a very approachable enjoyable work.

He has very very stupid and unsubstantial works also...  the waltz
concertos, some ballet after Balzac I don't remember.  But, I like Coke
sometimes.  Nevertheless, his pupil, Shostakovitch dedicated his first
symphony to Glazounov, an alcoholic and temendous man...(I'm speaking
about Alexandre not abour Dmitri).  Nevertheless a Master.

Martin Pitchon