From:
Maciej Dziekiewicz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Aug 1999 12:17:46 +0200
On Sunday Krystian Zimmerman gave a very first concert of his world Chopin
tour in Gdansk.

He was playing both Chopin concertos with his own orchestra named by him
New Polish Philharmonic.  Zimmernan wanted a completely fresh orchestra
without a burden of knowing the way the piece was played for the last 50
times, and he's put together young Polish musicians not associated with
any of the existing orchestras.  Historically Chopin concertos were first
performed by the opera orchestra in Warsaw and therefore Zimmernan putting
his orchestra together used the same proportions as original orchestra had.

His playing was simply divine and there is not much to add to this
expression.  The air was so intense and solemn that 3000 people in the hall
were so silent during his solo fragments, one could have an impression of
a special misterium, or a mass.

His sound was simply perfect.  Almost always round and very very rich,
never plain.  The way he he plays the biggest difficulties is so relaxed
that I had the impression he was born to play these two concertos.

It's hard to point out any shortcommings at all.  When he didn't like the
way they started second part of the first concerto he began one more time
with even more misterious approach.

The way he played forte bass notes was especially impressive.  Piano was
responding to his hit in such a way that the bass seemed to be many times
bigger that other pianists can reach.  It was possible to feel the air
wave coming from the piano and yet it was always effortless and never
too strong.  (And it wasnt the speciall hall acoustics.)

The very best recording of these concertos I have heard was of Emil Gilels
with Philadelphia Orchestra and Eugene Ormady, on SONY SBK 46336.  This was
always a reference for me.  Now I'm waiting for Zimmerman recording sure
that it will blow out of water all the rest.

His approach to the score was very fresh and not overdone as everything
was in fine details.  No big changes but the freshness is evidend.  Knowing
all the same notes I felt i was listening to these concertos for the first
time.  Dynamic changes were stronger and really thought through.  In some
moments the orchestral image he created was remiding of a film music, in
the very best meaning.

There are already stories about his perfectionism and deliberate playing
but I really did have the impression that each note was perfectly justified
and that there's nothing left to be desired.

Two concertos are over 70 mins and listening to him was so involving I did
not notice when this time has past.

In my short life this was the very best concert I have ever heard.

Maciek Dziekiewicz