From:
Edgar Beach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Aug 1999 12:32:39 -0400
John Smyth replies to my suggested book on Tchaikovskys life:

>I, too, read this book from cover to cover and found some of it, shall we
>say, hilariously lurid.  (My friends and I, after a few drinks one night,
>took turns seeing who could--reading out loud--get farthest through the
>chapter on Russian Boarding Schools without laughing.) Mr.
>Poznansky--whose inner man are you questing for?!?

This reply is just silly.  I found the book to be a serious new look at
Tchaikovsky and I recommend it unreservedly I am not a frequent poster and
am probably among many on the list who do not often contribute to this list
because they may get sarcastic comments from such musical savvy persons
as yourself.  Could you give me an example please of what in the book was
"hilariously lurid"? Is the response "Whose inner man are you questing
for?" a reflection on Mr.  Poznansky's sexuality preference?

You further write:

>Anyway, Poz *does* bring Tchaikovsky and his world to life.

Are you on an "intimate basis" with Mr. Poznansky as to call him "Poz"
If so, will you tell him how much I enjoyed his book.

I do not understand your reference to the Walt Disney film unless it is to
compare the book to that.

Ed Beach