From:
Bob Draper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Aug 1999 10:26:06 +0000
William Jenks wrote:

>>I'd like to add to my Haydn symphony collection, and I'm looking for
>>some advice/recommendations.

To which Kevin Sutton replied

>I have found that the recordings I have heard by the Orpheus Chamber
>Orchestra are just delightful.  I am especially fond of the disc that
>contains the "Philospher" symphone.  (Sorry I can't remember the number
>off the top of my head).

I'm not sure which number you can't remember, symphony or disc, so here's
both: Philosopher is No 22 (Hob).  The disc is DG 427 337-2.  There is
also has the lovely 'La Roxelane' and the tempestuous No 80, mentioned by
someone earlier this week, on it.  It's a great CD but these are modern
performances.

Also William Hong wrote:

>Is it possible that the S&D set you mention are one of the CBS
>recordings by the defunct "L'Estro Armonico", led by Derek Solomons?

Solomons was highly reviewed in some quarters.  But, I found it a bit
eccentric.  It is an 'authentic' series though and has excellent sound.
Here again you'll find gallons of repeats bringing some works to 50% more
than there usual run time.

Bob Draper