From:
James Tobin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Aug 1999 15:17:23 -0500
Dave Lampson wrote:

>...Solomon, who is particularly adept at intertwining historical fact
>with his own fantasies of Beethoven - unfortunately, he doesn't warn
>the reader when he moves from one to the other).

Any thoughts--or critical references--on his essay identifying the Immortal
Beloved? When I read it, it seemed at least plausible and grounded in
seeming fact, if not necessarily beyond all reasonable doubt.

Jim

 [Frankly, I find the hubbub surrounding the Immortal Beloved issue to
 be rather silly.  Unless someone finds firm evidence, we'll never know.
 If one is creative enough, one can invent all types of scenarios that
 fit the sketchy facts that survive.  I just don't see the point of
 trying to decide this issue until far more is known, otherwise it can't
 seem to avoid taking on a shallow, purient tone.  -Dave]