From:
Norman Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Aug 1999 16:11:22 EDT
Philip Peters writes:

>I also think highly of the Vienna Octet recording and, at the other end
>of ther spectrum, Mozzafiato & L'Archibudelli.  There are, however, a
>few recordings that haven't been mentioned yet in this thread which are
>worthwhile to hear:
>
>- The Berlin Octet (members of the Berliner Philharmoniker) (1975)
>- The Fine Arts Qt. with members of the New York Woodwind Quintet (sixties)
>and, not reissued on CD, but a *must* IMO:
>- The Lener Qt. plus four great musicians of which Charles Draper and
Aubrey Brain are the most welll known (1928).

Philip's post may end up costing him some money and shelf space.  The
Fine Arts Qt./NY Woodwind Quintet version is available according to H & B
Recordings on Boston Skyline (AAD) BSK-143 ($12.30 non members, $11.07
members).  The only CD recording I have hasn't been mentioned, Nonesuch
79046-2, by the Boston Symphony Chamber Players.  On LP, I have it by the
Acad.  St. Martin, Phi 9500 400.  I'm in a quandary as to whether I
want/need another.

Norman Schwartz