Ed Zubrow <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 4 Aug 1999 08:11:07 -0400
Andrew Carlin:

>However, Andy pointed out that in a later edition (which I didn't even
>know existed Andy commented on it) Simpson revised his opinion.  I wonder
>whether he really did or such unpleasantness had become politically correct
>among the academicians.  Simpson was Nielsen's English-speaking Boswell,
>he introduced Nielsen to the entire English-speaking world.  He may have
>thought why antagonize those who are writing that sort of music today.  His
>unselfish devotion to Nielsen may have led him to this strategic shift.

In his own excellent book, The Symphony: A Listener's Guide, Michael
Steinberg has a footnote about this.  He writes:

   "I specify the 1979 edition because in the original version of 1952
   Simpson had, in his own later words, 'seriously misjudged' the Sixth
   Symphony.  In his 1979 Preface, Simpson recounts his slow journey
   toward comprehension.  That so acute a critic, himself a fine composer
   and deeply committed to Nielsen, found himself thus blocked should
   give pause to all of us with our rush to judgment propensities."

Ed