From:
Bob Draper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Aug 1999 10:01:51 +0000
Professor Bernard Chasan wrote:

>Baris Kilicbay asked whether my use of liszt for list was a lapsus typo or
>an irony.  I replied that it was a tribute - and let me make it clear, a
>tribute to one of the greats of the nineteenth century who is still not
>given his due.

I agree here entirely.  Liszt is one of the great underrated.  I prefer
his piano works to Chopin they're less sugerary more gutszy.  His two
symphonies are worth far more credit than they get.  The first piano
concerto is a hugely enjoyable work.  Then there's the tone poems.  And
what about the two religious masterpieces Missa Choralis and Via Crucis.

Is it because we still view Liszt as the first pop star that we don't give
him his due? Or is it the Nazi use of LesPreludes that did the damage?

Bob Draper