From:
Roger Hecht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Aug 1999 13:49:09 -0400
Bob Draper wrote:

>Litton is on those unassuming fellows who therefore seem to become
>underrated.

One of the reasons may be that, in my experience with him anyway, he is
better live than on recordings.  I should add, the recordings I've heard,
which is hardly all of them.  But of the six or seven I've heard, none is
as good as the live concerts I've heard with him.  He seems more stiff on
record.

By the way, again judging from recordings, he is really doing something in
Dallas.  The orchestra has sounded very good on the CDs I've heard, and it
and Litton seem to be appreciated there.  Obviously, the locals could speak
to that better than I.

Still, it's funny.  You can give great concerts but it don't mean a thing
if you don't have that zing--on records.

Just a theory.  Maybe I'm missing the great CDs he's made.  I'm open to
suggestions.

Roger Hecht