From:
Steven Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Aug 1999 06:37:59 -0500
Tony Duggan:

>Last weekend at the BBC Proms in London saw the annual children's concert
>take place.  A naughty programmer placed Williams's March from Star Wars
>immediately before Holst's Mars from The Planets Suite.  There were moments
>when even the most tone deaf of listeners might have thought the parts had
>got mixed up.

Actually, I find far greater similarities with Korngold's score to Captain
Blood, but that is deliberate allusion on Williams's part, I'm sure.  As
Vaughan Williams once said, the job of an artist is not to say the thing
that's never been said, but to say the right thing at the right time.

Let me put in a word for the following Williams scores: The Reivers,
Dracula, The Fury, Close Encounters, and Schindler's List.

Classic film composers of the 30s and 40s include Korngold, Waxman,
Tiomkin, Steiner (although I truly dislike Steiner's work), Rozsa, Alfred
Newman (related in some way to Randy), Kaper, Elmer Bernstein, and
Herrmann.  Classical concert composers who've produced great film scores
include Walton, Vaughan Williams, Britten, Prokofiev, Milhaud, Honegger,
Auric, Copland, Leonard Bernstein, Moross, Lambert, and Shostakovich.

Steve Schwartz