David Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 2 Aug 1999 23:37:01 +0100
Heard this at the RAH tonight.  I know Nielson has been discussed a lot
on this list and I wondered if anyone has made any sense out of this work?
Bizarre piece indeed.  I phased out during the first movement, but managed
to get back in for the second.  Third was wierd and Fourth I actually
started laughing at (where the Brass come in and 'wreck the ballroom
furniture').  Then the coda seems ridiculously lighthearted.  Hmm.

The James MacMillan Cello Concerto seemed more approachable!  What a
horrific piece - nails being hammered into the cross, while the cello wails
itself to death...

Sibelius Pohjola's Daughter was good.  I liked that.  Great Sibelian
Atmosphere.

David Stewart