From:
Ron Chaplin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Aug 1999 08:55:09 PDT
A week ago last Saturday night, I went to a concert by the Rutgers Fesitval
Orchestra, conducted by Richard Auldon Clark.  The concert was a part of
the Rutgers Summerfest, an annual festival during the month of July.  At
the concert I attended, Rachel Barton was the soloist for Bruch's Scottish
Fantasy.  On stage, before performing, she made a short talk graciously
dedicating her performance to Samuel Sanders, who had just died.  She
recorded her first CD with Sanders, which features Sarasate's complete
Spanish Dances and Carmen Fantasy.  She said that the Scottish Fantasy was
his favorite work for violin, and she had always wanted to play it for him
but had never had the chance.  She, then, proceeded to knock me, and to
judge by the ovation the rest of the audience, out.  For an encore, she
played a solo piece by the composer who had been called the successor to
Paginini, because of the difficulty of his work, based on a Irish folk
song.

Just amazing!  I apologize for not having more information.  Performers
like her are on another plane.

Ron Chaplin