Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 22 Sep 1999 12:18:28 +0000
From:
Bob Draper <[log in to unmask]>
Jeffrey S Hall wrote:

>Dear CM fans, Could list members please provide their recommendations for
>Beethoven's Archduke piano trio.  I am particularly interested in comments
>on the recordings by Ashkenazy/Perlman/Harrell on EMI, the Beaux Arts Trio
>on Philips, and the Solomon Trio on Carlton (I think).  Thanks for any
>suggestions that you may have to offer.

Once again I find myself recommending a Naxos issue.  But why spend
money on a big name when you don't need to? The Stuttgard Piano Trio give
compelling accounts of these works on the Naxos label.  A different venue
was used from where they recorded their Schubert trios.  Hence previous
concerns about sound quality disappear in their Beethoven series.

I haven't heard any of the issues you mention though.  However, I'm yet
to hear a bad recording by the Beaux arts.

Bob Draper