Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 13 Aug 1999 15:08:09 -0400
From:
Denis Fodor <[log in to unmask]>
John Wiser (nomen est omen) asks/states reprovingly:

>Is Denis Fodor here asserting that primary reference wins the day over
>sheer mnemonic infallibility? In which Barker, Pennycuick, and Wiser [in
>strict alphabetical order, no favorites played here, please] may well
>specialize? If this is so, then Denis Fodor would be well advised, and
>he implicitly seems to resolve it, to get his record shelves filled and
>well-ordered, since the mnemonics current in this forum are a permanent
>factor in its operation, no matter how the operants may change.

Of course Barker, Pennycuick and Wiser (nomines sunt omenes) all have
assertive, commercial, and perfect recall, wherefore we all pilgramage at
least once within the eclipse span of the sun to Easter Island in order to
worship them in stately and petrified effigy.  And, yes, Denis Fodor, whom
I know well, though lately he's been somewhat out of touch, I simply know
will redo his inventory and order his five-foot shelf of recordings in an
order consonant with his notes.  But this may take a very long time, you
will understand.  The task is onerous and fraught with responsibility,a and
life is short.  In the meantime, may I console the list with the following
lines from GOLDSMITH:

   O memory!thou fond deceiver,
   Still importunate and vain,
   To former joys returning ever,
   And turning all the past to Barker, Pennycuick and Wiser.

Denis Fodor                     Internet:[log in to unmask]