Date:
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 21:42:58 EDT
"The hospital staff told her to give formula with Karo syrup last
night."

WHAT? thanks, i needed to let out a big scream, clear my lungs and that sort
of stuff. if ipractices and advice given out weren't just about that bad
around here, i might even get indignant about it. please understand i am
indignant IN GENERAL.

i would first say this is not strictly delayed lactogenesis because she CAN
express milk. she just has a low supply for some reason that is not clear
yet. she definitely should have a test for hormones in case it is indeed a
piece of placenta, and a thorough workup on other counts, but my main
suggestion about this is that not only should she be FEEDING this baby, with
a lactation aid (sns or homemade one), but she should be aggressively working
on her milk supply, with pumping and herbal tinctures, also reglan or
domperidone (yeah, i know, this is the usa, well, it is pretty darn easy to
get).

that is, unless she wants to not breastfeed this one, and wouldn't that be a
shame. why oh why, i ask.

anyway, just refer back to pat's comment about a hospital birth not being a
normal one and we shouldn't base our expectations about what is normal on
experiences in hospitals. amen sister!

home birth babies generally have a few if not several wet diapers and poopy
diapers right away, mothers don't usually get engorged, and darn if they
hardly ever need my expertise, because things go NORMALLY.

yep, normally.

okay, and while i am feeling annoyed about this stuff, if the level of
knowledge and expertise about breastfeeding is SO POOR in the part of
hospitals where infant nutrition ought to be one of the main things people
are concerned about, if not THE thing, then how should we feel about the
competency level of the care given in the rest of the hospital? if mothers
are given crummy treatment and advice -

(KARO SYRUP? what year is this anyway, 1954?)

then what does that tell us?

nothing i didn't know already.

carol brussel IBCLC
laura nevada lactation