From:
Baris Kilicbay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Aug 1999 12:02:42 +0300
Deryk Barker wrote:

>Tom Godell ([log in to unmask]) wrote:
>
>>TIME Magazine is conducting an on-line vote for "Person of the Century."
>>Only three "musicians" are among the top 20 vote getters: Elvis Presley,
>>Madonna, and John Lennon.  Naturally, I'd like to see a classical musician
>>on this list, so I voted for Leonard Bernstein.
>
>Well, we could argue about Bernstein vs.  others, I suppose; Presely and
>Lennon I can see, but Madonna???? And where is Bob Dylan.  (And Duke
>Ellington and Charlie Parker and Miles Davis and John Coltrane...)

But attention!  The vote says "person of the century", not "artistic
personality".  So no surprise if Madonna would eventually be voted as
the "person of the century" because her image is far beyond her artistic
output.  And I think nobody would oppose to the statement that she is one
of the greatest "stars" of this century.

Baris Kilicbay
Ankara, Turkey