From:
Bernard Chasan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Aug 1999 11:21:23 -0500
Bob Draper writes (and I completely agree):

>I know there are people out there who think that Naxos are ripping off
>musicians.  But, what would these talents be doing otherwise and would I be
>able to afford to hear Szymanovsky's violin pieces (for example) without
>them?

In the spirit of fairness Bob then refers listers to the Hyperion web site
for an alternate viewpoint.  You will indeed find a thoughtful (if self
serving) discussion of cd pricing, but the claim that the budget lines save
money by sticking to the standard repertory is completely nonsensical at
the present time.  It is late in the day to think of Naxos as some kind of
off shore outlaw.

Professor Bernard Chasan
Physics Department, Boston University