From:
Steven Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Aug 1999 08:31:30 -0500
Nick Perovich seconds Bob Draper:

>>It's like Pavlov's dogs.  The listener starts salivating in anticipation
>>of a performance by Karajan before a note has been played.
>
>Exactly the attitude that characterizes so many members of this list.  (No
>doubt heightened if it's a performance of Mozart.)

Come on.  Give people credit for knowing what they like and stop blaming
them for not knowing what you like.  I'm not big on Karajan myself (mainly
after he gave up the Philharmonia) and wish more people knew of composers
other than Mozart, but presumably people have heard Karajan and Mozart and
enjoy what they hear.  If past experience with a particular performer or
composer has been pleasurable, the anticipation of a new performance with
either will likely be enjoyable (to be cruelly dashed in the event, no
doubt).

Steve Schwartz