From:
Norman Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Aug 1999 09:47:43 EDT
Steve Schwartz writes that:

>Maciej Dziekiewicz writes:
>
>>In view of the recent discussion on Beethoven Violin Concerto I'd like
>>to ask for some recording recomendations.  The one I have bought is Bruno
>>Walther with Zino Francescatti and Columbia Symphony Orchestra on CBS.  ...
>
>I'm not thrilled with it.  The last movement plods, and it should dance.
>Walter or somebody chose too slow a tempo.  I like the Heifetz with (I
>think) Munch best.  I know people find it slick.  I don't.

I enjoy the Francescatti Beethoven concerto tremendously!  (as I also do
his Tchaikovsky with Schippers and Mendelssohn with Szell both on Sony
2-fers).  The Beethoven is played compassionately as coming from a living
human being.  OTOH the Heifetz sounds as it is being played by a very
accurate and proficient robot.  I have a Living Stereo promotional
cassette, RCDJ 61909-4, containing an interview of John Pfeiffer with
Elliot Forrest.  Pfeiffer (the producer of the Heifetz Beethoven recording
under discussion) informs us that he advised various masters that they have
to speed up their recorded performances.  He suggests the use of speeds in
recording much faster than live performance since he didn't want the
listener falling asleep whilst listening to a recording, the assumption
being that unlike attendance at a concert there is nothing to hold the
listener's attention home.  Heifetz seems to have heeded this instruction
all too well!

Norman Schwartz